Just look at One Straw Farm CSA‘s Week 13! Juicy red and tiny yellow tomatoes, red leaf lettuce, sweet corn, potatoes, onions, green peppers, and cantaloupe—a very timely selection for all the Labor Day Weekend festivities (you’ll be asked to bring a dish sooner or later). This week, it’s all about the gorgeous, the delicious, the paragon of sauce flavoring . . . tomato.
Green Peppers Stuffed with Anything and Everything
With 3 weeks’ worth of green peppers occupying one whole veggie bin, blanching, stuffing them (with whatever fridge contents were reaching the point of needing to be consumed), and then baking them was an inspiration! We did one dish of vegetarian and one with meat. The meat stuffing was leftover taco meat—already seasoned and ready to go. Just added bread crumbs and some minced onion, and voilà. For the veggie-style peppers, a little more creativity was called for. We steamed some brown rice and the corn; diced up plenty of tomato, onion, and garlic (all courtesy of this and prior weeks’ CSA); and added some chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Knowing by now how unbelievably sweet the One Straw Farm corn is, the adobo was clamoring to join the party. This combination was: To. Die. For. Although some work was definitely required, prepping the peppers, corn, and rice in advance made it all quite easy.
Ready in 2 hours; serves 4–6
- Slice tops from peppers; remove seeds and white membranes. Put peppers in a large saucepan; cover with salted water. Cover pan and bring to a boil. Boil for about 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Prepare rice (if using) according to package instructions and allow to cool.
- Cook corn in a pot of boiling, salted water for 5–8 minutes. Slice kernels from cob when cool; see CSA Week 10 for a neat tip!
- Dice onions and tomatoes; mince garlic.
- Combine stuffing ingredients, adding salt, pepper, and chili powder as necessary; spoon into drained green peppers.
- Place in baking pan and bake in a preheated 350° oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until done.
With this week’s yellow and red tomatoes plus last week’s green zebra tomatoes, salsa was just going to happen!
Ready in 4.5 hours; serves 6–8
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours to meld flavors.