Week 18 One Straw Farm CSA is looking suitably autumnal. This week’s fēng shōu/la cosecha (see your Word of the Week), was lacinato kale (also known as “dinosaur” and “Tuscan” kale), potatoes, cherry tomatoes, a very sturdy head of lettuce, pop corn, green peppers, sweet potato, garlic, and spaghetti squash. Our featured recipe anticipates some cooler weather (eventually) and once again offers a way to use up some of the potato mountain you must have by now, in addition to onions, garlic, and kale.
Creamy Potato and Kale Soup
Ready in 1 1/2 hours (including prep); serves 8 or more
- Heat oil until shimmery, then add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add onion and cook for about another 7 minutes, or until soft. Set aside.
- Boil potatoes until soft, about 25 minutes.
- Blend the potatoes and their water until mostly creamy. (You can use an immersion blender, or a blender or food processor. If either of the latter two, having two large pots to transfer soup to and from the processor/blender is helpful.)
- Add bay leaf and any other seasonings, including salt and pepper. Also add stock (or bouillon) or water if desired, to reach the consistency you like.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, add chopped kale, and cook for 5 minutes until tender.
- Blend again, and serve!